Thursday, January 5, 2012

Whose homework is it anyway?

Any parent can tell you that homework is challenging with their kids, never did I think I would be working on it so hard with my son.  So this week started off with Austin having a great day at school which is rare and exciting.  His para walked him out at the end of the day gave me his homework and said that he needed some help with it (Math) and that she couldn't figure it out.  Excuse me?  So let's get this straight...he was assigned something that even they couldn't teach to him.  He is not in a main math classroom.  So Jimmy looks at this math and then takes 30 minutes online searching on how to do this math puzzle.  This is what they consider modified assignments?

Then today he is walking out to the car and I could tell it hadn't been a good day, his head was down and he was grunting and somewhat defiant with me and his para as she was explaining his homework for the night.  He had 3 math problems, not a big deal and then a packet of language arts.  I can not tell you how many times we have explained that packets are not a good idea for Austin, you are much better off handing him one page at a time so he doesn't get overwhelmed and especially with language arts.  So needless to say I sit down with him and get him started on it.  I told him I understand his frustration with it being too much and that we will focus on one page at a time.  Then God Bless Grace she comes and sits down with him and helps him with ideas for his sentences.  (She is getting a Garfield book for that one.)  Love that girl she is so awesome with him. 

So we are keeping track of all of these things that they are already supposed to be doing for him according to his IEP and how they are not being done so at the next meeting we can show them how this is not working. 

An update as far as the new routine with dinner and such they are going really well.  It has been great for the whole family, it also helps him with socializing.  He is interacting with us and conversing a little more about our interests.  That is huge.  Small steps.

1 comment:

  1. You need to contact Kip Herren directly as it is against the law to not follow an IEP. Austin needs that more than anyone I know. You will never get anywhere with the school Austin is in, I've heard too many nightmare stories. Get Herren involved, he's a decent guy and my interaction with the director of special services for all schools is also honest and helpful. You and Jim are great parents, and Grace is a doll (and Austin has always shown me his best side so I am pulling for him!). Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete